Saturday, August 24, 2013

Bouguereau & Stettheimer

Nature's Fan: Girl With a Child
Bouguereau ~ 1881

I've had the good fortune so far this year to visit several old friends and several new museums. In January, in between my visits with Diane and Len in Portland, Oregon, I spent an afternoon on my own at the Portland Art Museum and came across two artists, new to me:

1. the French academic painter and traditionalist,
William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825 - 1905)

and

2. the American painter, designer, and poet,
Florine Stettheimer (1871 - 1944)

Portrait of My Teacher, Fraulein Sophie von Prieser
Stettheimer ~ 1929

In July, I visited Victoria and Steven in Minnesota, where our first stop was the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. I was delighted to see once again works by each of the two artists whose work I had discovered in Portland. Wandering through the MIA, I immediately recognized Strettheimer's distinctive use of collage, pastiche, and embedded artworks:

Portrait of Our Nurse, Margaret Burgess
Stettheimer ~ 1929

And the amazing natural light in this one told me right away that it was another Bouguereau:

Temptation
Bouguereau ~ 1880
{See also Spinning & Denver}

To learn more, see Artsy's
William Adolphe Bouguereau Page
& Florine Stettheimer Page

No comments:

Post a Comment