Friday, March 4, 2016

Millennials & Music


Thanks to my sons who both went out of their way last month to compile some playlists for their parents' edification and listening pleasure!

Musical recommendations

from Ben ~ "Duets"

and Sam ~ "Forever Young Again"

@The Fortnightly Kitti Carriker:
A Fortnightly [every 14th & 28th] Literary Blog of
Connection & Coincidence; Custom & Ceremony

Whenever I see one of those unkind "anti - Millennials" diatribes* that get posted on facebook from time to time, all I can say is that my kids and their born - in - the - 90s peers are amazing! They did not approach their education with arrogance or entitlement but with energy and perseverance. They are intelligent and intuitive, grasping concepts in leaps and bounds beyond my own generation. They have worked hard for every achievement and have already changed the world for the better and will continue to do so, if all goes according to plan, long after I am gone. They fill me with me hope and optimism for the future of this planet! They keep in touch with their parents and do whatever they can to pull their elders along into the 21st Century! Keep up the good work Millennials!

P.S. November Election 2016
As I said to my friend Evelet (mother of Hunter, Sam's age):
"How we love our smart, smart boys.
They will go to the future and make it a better place!"

6 comments:

  1. *Case in Point

    This kind of thing:
    https://www.facebook.com/themafiabossgame/photos/a.411133840755.190522.134523435755/10153298341930756/?type=3&theater

    K: To be even less popular, I'd like to offer the same advice to the generation BEFORE mine, which doesn't always seem so admirable to me, even though history calls them not just "great" but the "greatest." Yet, all the adjectives -- entitled, spoiled, narcissistic -- that are repeatedly used to describe all the subsequent generations, from Baby Boomer up to the present XY & Zs -- seem equally if not WAY MORE applicable to the good ol' "greats," whose sense of entitlement appears to be boundless.

    P: I'm not sure if I get all of what you are saying. This is what I think you are saying, correct me if I am wrong. When you are saying the "greats," are you referring to our parents? If so I have to disagree with you. The "greats" might seem like they are entitled, but I think that is just being old. Old people are cranky and think they should be thought of first, which maybe they should. What I got out of the article was starting somewhere in the eighties the kids thought the world owed them something, and mostly due to the fact that parents made them think so because the parents stopped parenting. The whole you shouldn't spank your children thing turned into you should become your child's best friend and anything and everything they want including being a brat is okay. I'm pretty sure I can speak for most of the people my age: they were raised by the "greats," spanked, grounded, and told to respect people. Call me crazy but what has been done for the past 25 years or so IS NOT WORKING! Parents need to become "great" again and teach their child who is the parent and not be their friend. Sorry for going on a rant but this subject drives me crazy! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here we go again:
    P: R.I.P. America!!! You went soft on discipline. You raised the cost of living so high that both parents are always at work, rather than spending time with their children. You took God out of schools. Parents are told they can't discipline their kids. Teachers are prevented from disciplining kids in schools. Well done America!! You shall reap what you sow, and we have lost a whole generation and turned them into selfish, disrespectful brats who have no respect for people and property nor authority! Things need to change!!! What happened to the old days when kids were fearful/respectful of their elders? Copy & paste if you have the guts!!!

    K: It's not that I don't have the guts; it's that my children and their friends and my friends' kids are nothing at all like this description. I'm not sure who you mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kitti, I missed this post the first time around. My students, from all over the world, were born in late 1990's. They have a level of compassion and openness that inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lest we forget Generation X -- neither Baby Boomers nor Millennials : Kellyanne Conway (1967), Scott Walker (1967), Paul Ryan (1970), Sean Spicer (1971), Reince Priebus (1972), Sarah Huckabee Sanders (1982), Stephen Miller (1985), Hope Hicks (1988).

    Plenty of POISON to go around in that generation, including Donald Trump, Jr. (1977), Ivanka Trump (1981), Eric Trump (1984).

    So you see, the Baby Boomers are not to blame for everything, and the so - called "Greatest Generation" itself was far from perfect. There are deplorables in every group, as well as visionaries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. https://www.facebook.com/sjblubaugh/posts/10205807440741996

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...and subsequently, the so-called “silent generation”...

    As a 1957 Baby Boomer, the most blatant sense of entitlement I have encountered has come from people born before 1946, not after 1964. Maybe it’s just my misfortune to know some particularly mean and selfish old people.

    ReplyDelete