capital looks as pretty as Paris!
Some Words to the Wise
for these Troubled Times
1. As poet Philip Booth reminds us: “I think survival is at stake for all of us all the time. … Every poem, every work of art, everything that is well done, well made, well said, generously given, adds to our chances of survival."
2. As Oscar, from "The Office" warns us: "It's a very dangerous time. The coalition for reason is extremely weak."
3. As Samuel Beckett observes in his novel Watt: "Times are hard, water in every wine" (27).
4. As Woody Allen cautions: "Mankind is facing a crossroad -- one road leads to despair and utter hopelessness and the other to total extinction -- I sincerely hope you graduates choose the right road."
5. As the school principal tells Billy Madison: "what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
the first year of Trump's presidency,
please see my current post
"Water in Every Wine"
@ The Fortnightly Kitti Carriker