Sunday, November 25, 2018

November Sun

Mike Love: "The Warmth of the Sun was a very beautiful song that Brian [Wilson] and I wrote in the time period associated with President Kennedy's assassination. We didn't write words about that, but it was around that time we recorded that song, and there's a lot of emotion involved there."

Mike Love: "The Warmth of the Sun was started in the early morning hours of the same morning that President Kennedy was killed in Dallas. The melody was so haunting, sad, melancholy, that the only thing that I could think of lyrically was the loss of love, when interest slips and feelings aren't reciprocated…though I wanted to have a silver lining on that cumulus nimbus cloud so I wrote the lyrics from the perspective of, 'Yes, things have changed and love is no longer there, but the memory of it lingers like the warmth of the sun.' I think it's really impactful and memorable…one of my favorite songs from an emotional and personal point of view."

Brian Wilson: "When the shooting happened, everyone knew instantly. It was all over the TV and on every kind of news. I called Mike and he asked me if I wanted to write a song about it. I said sure. It seemed like something we had to think about, and songs were the way I thought about things. We drove over to my office and in a half hour we had The Warmth of the Sun. We didn't think of it as a big song. It was a personal response. But it got bigger over time because of the history linked to it."
The Warmth of the Sun

What good is the dawn
That grows into day
The sunset at night
Or living this way

For I have the warmth of the sun
(Warmth of the sun)
Within me at night
(Within me at night)

The love of my life
She left me one day
I cried when she said
"I don't feel the same way"

Still I have the warmth of the sun
(Warmth of the sun)
Within me tonight
(Within me tonight)

I'll dreams of her arms
And though they're not real
Just like she's still there
The way that I feel

My love's like the warmth of the sun
(Warmth of the sun)
It won't ever die
(It won't ever die)


Songwriters: Michael Love / Brian Wilson
Sung by the Beach Boys
"The Warmth of the Sun" lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group

No comments:

Post a Comment