Thursday, April 9, 2020

Things Can Always Get Worse

I do not know—
If I go from here to some
Yet more hateful place,
Perhaps even these lodgings
Will stir nostalgic regret.


~ The Emperor Go-Uda ~
(1267 - 1324)

****************

It's Paschaltide, and our thoughts turn to Moses & Peter, who figure prominently in the Old & New Testament stories associated with the season.
Moses:
"He is on the track of Canaan all his life; it is incredible that he should see the land only when on the verge of death. This dying vision of it can only be intended to illustrate how incomplete a moment is human life, incomplete because a life like that can last forever and still be nothing but a moment. Moses fails to enter Canaan not because his life is too short but because it is a human life" (100 & 259).

Not specifically about Moses,
but pertinent to his dilemma:

"What I am really afraid of, dearest Ava, is to die with the feeling that the abundant blessings which the Lord has bestowed on me will have been wasted. I feel as though I have not fulfilled my promise or my mission. That is cruelest of all. . . . I wish I could find a way so that whatever meager gifts I have as an artist might feed me, keep me in the world, give me meaningful work and community. But truthfully . . . I fear that it is no longer possible, that I derailed myself somewhere back there, not willingly and somehow not even unconsciously, but stupidly, blindly ruled somehow by my excessive passion and not by what you generously call my formidable intelligence" (200).

from Carole Maso's novel AVA
(more on Kitti's List & Quotidian)

Peter:
"And about the space of one hour after, another confidently affirmed, saying, Of a truth this fellow also was with him: for he is a Galilaean.

And Peter said, Man, I know not what thou sayest. And immediately, while he yet spake, the cock crew.

And the Lord turned, and looked upon Peter. And Peter remembered the word of the Lord, how he had said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

And Peter went out, and wept bitterly."


Luke 22:59-62 (KJV)
****************

See also: "Confession & Cancelation" by Nadia Bolz - Weber
"But I’d like to suggest that Jesus didn’t choose Peter because he was the first to confess Christ…after all, Peter’s moment of glory lasted about 10 seconds before he said something stupid enough for Jesus to say get behind me Satan.

I don’t think that Jesus chose Peter because Peter understood everything or because Peter had the best prayer life or because Peter had the mildest personality and he just “seemed” like a pastor. And Peter wasn’t exactly chosen because of his loyalty - lest we forget, it was Peter who denied Jesus. Three times, if you recall. And here’s the real kicker: I don’t think Jesus chose Peter DESPITE the fact that Peter would deny Jesus three times on the night he died. I think Jesus chose Peter BECAUSE Peter would deny him.

Jesus knew that only a forgiven sinner could really preach the Gospel. It’s always been that way so I’m not sure at what point the church decided it’s leaders were to be sinless examples of perfect piety. I might not give them the keys to my house but only a forgiven sinner can be really trusted with the keys of the kingdom."
****************

For more about
Peter's strengths and flaws,
listen to "Peter the Rock"
Words & music by Gerry McCartney
(click title to locate CD & click on the playlist at 33:58 to listen)

This Year's Paschal Moon

No comments:

Post a Comment