Thursday, December 31, 2020

A Feel Sorry New Year's Eve

~ A Few British Ornaments on the Tree ~

Adrian Henry's Talking After Christmas Blues


Well I woke up this mornin' it was Christmas Day
And the birds were singing the night away
I saw my stocking lying on the chair
Looked right to the bottom but you weren't there
there was
apples
oranges
chocolates
. .. . aftershave
but no you.

So I went downstairs and the dinner was fine
There was pudding and turkey and lots of wine
And I pulled those crackers with a laughing face
Till I saw there was no one in your place
there was
mincepies
brandy
nuts and raisins
. . . mashed potato
but no you.

Now it's New Year and it's Auld Lang Syne
And it's 1 2 o'clock and I'm feeling fine
Should Auld Acquaintance be Forgot?
I don't know girl, but it hurts a lot
there was
whisky
vodka dry Martini (stirred
but not shaken)
.... and 12 New Year resolutions
all of them about you.

So it's all the best for the year ahead

As I stagger upstairs and into bed
Then I looked at the pillow by my side
. . .I tell you baby I almost cried

there'll be

Autumn

Summer
Spring
. . . . and Winter

all of them without you.


[all ellipses in original]

Adrian Henri (1932 - 2000)
Thanks to Curtis for the link
What leads up to a feel sorry New Year's Eve?
A feel sorry hard candy Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment