Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Topping: Find - A - Gravesite

Alanson Niles Topping
1871 - 1955

&

Lettie Bartley Topping
1886 – 1957 (m. 1911)

&

Ina Bartlett Topping
1872 – 1908 (m. 1895)

Last Memorial Day, I was on a quest to find this gravesite before we moved from Indiana to Virginia, and I no longer had the chance. Gerry and I had lived from 2004 - 2022 in the same big old Victorian farmhouse that had belonged to the Toppings from 1911 - 1955.

I knew the correct cemetery:
and thanks to find - a - grave,
I soon had the precise location.
Sec B lot 155
6 rows from main drive
Here are the landmarks:

Along the edge of the driveway, go back
4 rows of large stones with the names reading:
Mathieson
Cosma
Cosma
Yelm
Turn in at Yelm (brown grave)
and walk down about four graves.

To your left,
looking straight into the woods,
you will see the big "Jones" stone:
To your right,
looking straight behind you,
you will see the caretaker cottage:
When you first drive in, if you
stand directly underneath the flagpole
and look straight back toward the woods,
you will be looking right at the grave.

If you zoom in, right between
“Mingh” & “Summers,” you’ll see “Jones,”
with “Topping” right in front
Paying my respects to the Toppings kind of made up for not getting to visit my parents’ and grandparents’ graves in Kansas for Memorial Day. I’ve gone down there fairly regularly throughout my life, but I'm not sure how long I can keep it up, especially now, from Virginia.

On the same visit, I found this one;
no one I know, but had to admire the way that
Elizabeth was allowed a little flair on her headstone!
[See also Everretta T. Parsons ~ AD 1815]

1 comment:

  1. https://www.facebook.com/kitti.carriker/posts/pfbid0ovFCLS3BDeo5pG4BQm58KoA4gTyjXgdf6X5CVfBFqXdGtT3mjJTTDZWUnRPf9Rk4l

    ReplyDelete