Monday, November 20, 2023

Autumn on the Blue Ridge

That sign we hate to see!
Well, I always said if the pool was closed,
I could go for a walk instead,
so here's my chance . . .

I quickly reached the point where
paved becomes gravel becomes dirt.
More rustic than I expected.
Feeling a little cautious . . . safe to progress?
Beautiful sunlit path, but also
seems like weirdos could be lurking.
Where were the other normal hikers?
Remember, I was raised in the Age of Fear.
[Still a thing.]

I wanted to see the old graveyard, somewhere up ahead,
but turned around before I got there because I couldn't gage
how much further and had to account for turn around time.

So I returned to civilization while the sun was high,
even though I was probably just a few steps shy
of the cemetery and gave up too soon.
I walked around the lake instead,
scenic but less adventuresome.
See that nice sidewalk? Not for pedestrians.

Lewis Mountain, Virginia
Meriwether Lewis was born over there!
Planning to go for another walk soon,
with map in hand for increased confidence.

A couple of grand old houses
in Charlottesville, Virginia:

1.2 miles from our house:
House on Lewis Mountain

1.9 miles:
Birdwood at Boar's Head

No comments:

Post a Comment