Wednesday, April 17, 2024

A Cluttered Mind

"A cluttered desk is a cluttered mind."
When it comes to clutter,
Colin Thompson is my favorite!

A conversation with my friend Mumbi,
concerning some shared reading and research
on the topic of contemporary Kenyan poetry:

Mumbi: Your brain must be so compacted with so many ideas from all the reading that you have done. I think writing comes naturally to you because your brain needs relief before you fill it up again!

Kitti: Your description of my brain makes me laugh! But I also know you mean it as a compliment, and I greatly appreciate that!

Long ago in my teaching days, one of my students wrote something so funny that I have never forgotten. They were supposed to be coming up with metaphors, and one of them said: “A cluttered desk is a cluttered mind.” I immediately incorporated that phrase into my daily vocabulary!

Even now, whenever I’m working on a project, with papers spread all over the countertops, I’ll say to Gerry: “Sorry! It’s just my cluttered mind!” Or when I’m sorting out and putting stuff away, I’ll say: “I’m trying not to have a cluttered mind!” Haha! But true!

Mumbi: Thank you for understanding that I used “compact” in a positive sense. "Clutter" can be relative. You are brilliant and diligent. I couldn’t do all the reading that you do without bursting my head. Writers are born.

Thank you very much for giving a forum to the Kenyan women and spending your precious time. It is an honor to them. Your blog is a channel through which you publicize the actions of those who advocate for making the world an equal playing field for all. Kenya's leadership is totally off course, pursuing personal wealth with absolute apathy to an otherwise very hard-working, low-income majority.

Thank you for shining a light to some who probably think that no one notices what they do.

Kitti: Mumbi, you are too kind! Thank you for shining that very same light right back to me. And also for sending me these books, which are a wake-up call to appreciate the choices, benefits, and privileges that we enjoy, compared to the hardships currently endured by these writers and activists.
For graffiti art and
revolutionary poetry from Kenya,
see my recent post

To the Literary Battle Fronts
"Tell me, Nairobi, are you that place?"
"What will it take?"

@The Fortnightly Kitti Carriker
A literary blog of connection & coincidence;
custom & ceremony


Related Posts
To Create a Space for Women's Creativity
Maganjo

No comments:

Post a Comment