Monday, February 22, 2010

Fridge Magnets

Fridge Poetry and a Heart for George

I discovered a couple of my favorite refrigerator magnets at the Chapel of the Good Shepherd / The Episcopal Church at Purdue University -- a long name for a cool place, i.e., the Episcopal Campus Ministry!

Anyway, here's what the magnets say:

1.
"Everything will be okay
in the end.
If it's not okay,
it's not the end!"


2.
"The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals
and 362 to heterosexuals.

This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals;
it's just that they need more supervision."



As for the fridge poetry up above, it was created by my family a few years ago after my friend Etta gave us a set of poetic word magnets. Slowly but surely we found a spot for every word.

The one I liked best was put together, unbeknownst to me, by my sister-in-law Tina, when she came over from England to see us in Philadelphia in 2002. I did not discover it until a few days after her departure, when it caught my eye as I was passing through the kitchen. What a sweet surprise and lingering souvenir of a wonderful visit! I kept it there for the next two years, until we moved from that house, leaving the refrigerator behind:


Here are the rest, some of which you may be able to discern -- just barely -- off to the right of George Washington. You might also notice that we gave George Washington a heart -- and a hat! Happy Birthday George!

We hope you have as much fun reading our little poems as we had writing them:

1.
boy
kiss
girl
fun

grow up
woman
marry
man
work

2.
mother
honor
home

father
protect
family

3.
make brother a super hero and a strong god

4.
let me grow blue and soar with spirit

5.
I think I will be a doctor

6.
be a courageous Ph.D. survivor

7.
you are not the un tender

8.
sunbeam
dance at sunrise
pink morning
red day
rose evening
night sky
full moon

9.
come musician share the joy
listen to live music charm away sad ness
gentle rhapsody and quiet song
a sound like heaven

10.
remember that every embrace is sacred

11.
sweet angels ward off evil dream of tremendous dark power

12.
we must kneel to receive your infinite care

13.
I am we are
he she it is

14.
do you like my most favorite film

15.
regard only chocolate and TV

16.
I want my honey dew fruit blossom

17.
please make me laugh

18.
cool web of language

19.
can you understand my soul?

20.
search for the universe

21.
I am in love with the world

No comments:

Post a Comment