Friday, February 19, 2010

Little Tigers in the House

YEAR OF THE TIGER STAMPS: HONG KONG, 1998














At an art exhibit many years ago, I saw a wooden sculpture of a cat sitting atop a metal climbing frame, entitled "Little Tiger in the House." How I would love to see that again, but I don't know where to find it or who the sculptor was. How could I have neglected to write that name down?

The sculpture looked a bit like this painting
by Kwong Kuen Shan:

Two of my own Little Tigers in the House
Josef (left, in 1993) & Pine (right, in 2007)
Same Chairs: Refinished & Reupholstered














"For I will consider my Cat Jeoffry.
For he is a servant of the Living God
duly and daily serving him . . .
For if he meets another cat he will kiss her in kindness.
For when he takes his prey he plays with it to give it a chance.
For one mouse in seven escapes by his dallying. . . .
For he counteracts the powers of darkness . . .
For he counteracts the Devil, who is death,
by brisking about the life.
For in his morning orisons,
he loves the sun and the sun loves him.
For he is of the tribe of Tiger.
For the Cherub Cat is a term of the Angel Tiger
. . . .
For there is nothing sweeter than his peace when at rest.
For there is nothing brisker than his life when in motion."


from one of my all-time favorite poems "My Cat Jeoffry"
by Christopher Smart (eccentric English Poet, 1722 - 1771)

For More on the Year of the Tiger, see
THE FORTNIGHTLY KITTI CARRIKER
my fortnightly literary blog
of connection and coincidence
www.kitticarriker.blogspot.com

Searching for a good book? Take a look at
KITTI'S BOOK LIST
my running list of recent reading
www.kittislist.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment