Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Dear March

PRINT BY EUGENE SAMUEL GRASSET (1845 -1917)
FROM HIS LA BELLE JARDINIERE CALENDAR SERIES, 1896

You have to love Emily Dickinson's breezy personification of March walking down the path and bursting through the front door. The narrator welcomes March with open arms, a kiss perhaps. Sometimes March is a Lion, sometimes a Lamb, but for Dickinson, March is a Gentleman Caller:

Dear March -- Come in --
How glad I am --
I looked for you before --
Put down your hat --
You must have walked --
How out of breath you are --
Dear March, how are you, And the Rest --
Did you leave Nature well --
Oh, March, Come right upstairs with me --
I have so much to tell --


From Poem #1320
by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886)
American Poet

See also my recent Fortnightly Post: "Kiss Today"

No comments:

Post a Comment