Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Everybody Wants to Rule the World

Reading? Ruling the World?

"Benign Neglect:
If I ran the world, he told me,
I'd pretty much leave it alone &
spend my time reading &
I'd advise other people to do the same."

by Brian Andreas
from StoryPeople


So all these years you thought I was just reading? Well, it turns out I was actually ruling the world! Not exactly the conclusion that Andreas draws; he goes on a bit, but I'm stopping here at the good part.

[last line = "Which is why I’ll probably never run the world, he said."]

Remember this great song from 1985? Now you won't be able to get it out of your head for the rest of the day:

Everybody Wants To Rule The World

Welcome to your life
There's no turning back
Even while we sleep
We will find you

Acting on your best behavior
Turn your back on Mother Nature
Everybody wants to rule the world

It's my own design
It's my own remorse
Help me to decide
Help me make the

Most of freedom and of pleasure
Nothing ever lasts forever
Everybody wants to rule the world . . .

sung by Tears for Fears
(Roland Orzabal & Curt Smith)

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to your life
    There's no turning back
    Even while we sleep
    We will find you

    Acting on your best behavior
    Turn your back on Mother Nature
    Everybody wants to rule the world

    It's my own design
    It's my own remorse
    Help me to decide
    Help me make the

    Most of freedom and of pleasure
    Nothing ever lasts forever
    Everybody wants to rule the world . . .

    There's a room where the light won't find you
    Holding hands while
    The walls come tumbling down
    When they do, I'll be right behind you

    So glad we've almost made it
    So sad they had to fade it
    Everybody wants to rule the world

    I can't stand this indecision
    Married with a lack of vision
    Everybody wants to rule the world

    Say that you'll never, never, never, never need it
    One headline, why believe it?
    Everybody wants to rule the world

    All for freedom and for pleasure
    Nothing ever lasts forever
    Everybody wants to rule the world


    lyrics by Chis Hughes, Roland Orzabal, Ian Stanley
    sung by Tears for Fears: Roland Orzabal & Curt Smith

    © EMI VIRGIN SONGS, INC; AMUSEMENTS LTD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOA4ixV-3jU

    ReplyDelete