Sunday, March 17, 2013

Some New Love


For many years I've known and loved this little mantra from English art critic and writer John Ruskin (8 February 1819 – 20 January 1900):

"I wish for you
some new love
at lovely things,
some new forgetfulness
at teasing things,
some higher pride
in the praising things,
some sweeter peace
from the hurrying things,
and some closer fence
from the worrying things."


(see my "Antidotes for Fretfulness," sidebar at right -> -> ->)


Now that I realize it was part of a birthday greeting to children's book illustrator Kate Greenaway (17 March 1846 – 6 November 1901) -- born in England, on this day 167 years ago -- I love it even more! On Greenaway's 39th birthday, Ruskin wrote:

To Miss Kate Greenaway
Brantwood, 17th March [1885]

And it is your birthday! -- and my letter was no good, and I don't know how to give you any wish that you would care to come true, -- but I will wish you -- every birthday -- some new love of lovely things, and some new forgetfulness of the teazing things, and some higher pride in the praising things, and some sweeter peace from the hurrying things, and some closer fence from the worrying things. And longer stay of time when you are happy, and lighter flight of days that are unkind.


From The Works of John Ruskin, Vol. 37

Over the years these two artistic minds shared a literary
correspondence consisting of hundreds of letters.

Artwork here and above by Kate Greenaway
Cowslips

P.S.
HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment