Saturday, March 16, 2019

He Said She Said

Odysseus & Calypso

He Said:


I know very well, goddess, she is not beautiful
As you are: could not be. She is a woman,
Mortal, subject to the chances . . .

You are immortal and will never change
And can make me immortal also . . .

Nevertheless I long . . . for the island
Where the grass dies and the seasons alter:

Where that one wears the sunlight for a while.


~ from Calypso's Island *
~ by Archibald MacLeish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She Said:


Let's face it, I have been momentary.
A luxury. . . .

She is more than that. She is your have to have . . .

I give you back your heart.
I give you permission . . .

As for me, I am a watercolor.
I wash off.


~ from For My Lover, Returning To His Wife *
~ by Anne Sexton

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To read the above poems in their entirety

see my latest post:

He Said She Said

@ The Fortnightly Kitti Carriker
A literary blog of connection & coincidence;
custom & ceremony


* and click titles above
to hear the poets read their own work

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment