Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Eichenberg & Christopherson

A Sad Childhood
"in a barron, isolated place"
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (1816 - 1855)
Illustrated by Fritz Eichenberg (1901 - 1990)

For these art prints and more
see my recent post

Grief & Relief

@The Fortnightly Kitti Carriker
A literary blog of connection & coincidence;
custom & ceremony

The Drip
by Eugene Christopherson (1939 - 2007)

This sweet little print came into my life
when my dear friend Vickie sent a vintage copy
of the above illustrated Jane Eyre
as a present for my little grand-daughter, Ellie
-- her first Bronte novel! Unbeknownst to Vickie,
a blank antique notecard was tucked inside the pages,
featuring this tiny tot by Christopherson.

"I read The Life of Charlotte Bronte
. . . and . . .
dreamed a nineteenth-century
sort of life, walks and studying, rectitude,
courtesy, maidenhood, peacefulness."


from Lives of Girls and Women (212)
~ by Alice Munro

No comments:

Post a Comment