Saturday, August 27, 2011

Josef Poems by Sam & Ben


MY CAT
My cat is lazy and loving.

That is my cat, loves meat,

so sleepy but adventurous.

But no matter what,

my cat I love.

No not a thing --

he can scratch,

he can bite,

he can reject his meat.

I love him!


by Sam McCartney
August 2002, 4th grade

**********************************

THE CAT
This cat lies down, not moving.
Contemplating. Why? What? When?
Will the world end today?
Tomorrow, now, then?

The Universe is great.
The cat knows its ways,
lying down, on my bed.
The sun flashes its rays.

Where did they come from?
Humans, I think they are called.
Interesting what they have done
with this planet, what they’ve hauled.

Well, they feed me, not what I want,
but they give me enough.
Sometimes it’s fun and entertaining.
Sometimes it’s boring and tough.

They give me a box of cardboard.
They give me a queen-sized bed.
They give me my own curtain.
They put me at their head.

But still I contemplate
The Universe. I know
they want to: tough!
They give me food and go.


by Ben McCartney, age 11
29 January 2002, 6th grade

December 2000: Josef appears to be about half the size of Sam!
Josef had a long life: July 1988 - April 2007

For more pet poems, see
"Ode to Josef: Nine - Lived and Contradictory"
on
The Fortnightly Kitti Carriker
A Fortnightly [every 14th & 28th] Literary Blog of
Connection & Coincidence; Custom & Ceremony


NEW POST TOMORROW: FERRY CROSS THE MERSEY

No comments:

Post a Comment