Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Snowman & Pikachu

"Toyland . . . Once you pass its borders
You can never return again . . . "

. . . but sometimes you can, like when you're
wearing your cozy new Christmas socks and sitting
beneath the tree with Snowman & Pikachu

***************

~ from ~
Babes in Toyland

When you've grown up my dears,
and are as old as I,
you'll often ponder on the years
that roll so swiftly by, my dears,
that roll so swiftly by.

And of the many lands
you will have journeyed through,
you'll oft recall the best of all
the land your childhood knew,
the land your childhood knew.

Toyland! Toyland!
Dear little girl and boy land
While you dwell within it
You are ever happy then
Childhood’s joyland
Mystic, merry toyland
Once you pass its borders
You can never return again

When you’ve grown up, my dears
there comes a dreary day
when ‘mid the locks of black appears
the first pale gleam of gray, my dears,
the first pale gleam of gray

Then of the past you’ll dream
as gray haired grown-ups do
and seek once more its phantom shore
the land your childhood knew,
the land your childhood knew.



Lyrics by Glen MacDonough (1870–1924)
Music by Victor August Herbert (1859 – 1924)
Performed by Lillian Watson (b 1947)

Disney Version Lyrics

&

Other Favorite Covers
Johnny Mathis & Doris Day

19 Years Ago ~ Christmas 2000
As you can see, Pikachu has been with us for many a
Christmas, as have the lacing cards -- and Johnny Mathis!

It has been suggested that I put away childish things and -- as we are well into the month of January -- that I take down the trees and put away the Christmas ornaments. However, I seek but to follow the path suggested by the venerable Charles Dickens, in the words of the repentant Scrooge: “I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me."

No comments:

Post a Comment