Monday, February 14, 2022

Don't Dishearten

On Valentine's Day,
the heart wants what the heart wants!
**********
Thanks to my friend Katie for the green glass heart
and winter snowflake jewelry!
In the summer of 1862, Emily Dickinson (1830 - 86) wrote to her friend Mary Bowles (1827 - 93), offering comfort during a time when Mary's husband Samuel Bowles (1826 - 78) was traveling abroad and Mary was missing him:
Dear Mary, When the Best is gone - I know that other things are not of consequence - The Heart wants what it wants - or else it does not care -

You wonder why I write - so - Because I cannot help - I like to have you know some care - so when your life gets faint for it's other life - you can lean on us - We wont break, Mary. We look very small - but the Reed can carry weight.

Not to see what we love, is very terrible - and talking - does'nt ease it - and nothing does - but just itself.

. . . Don't dishearten - Mary - We'll keep thinking of you - Kisses for all.

Emily.
Years later, Emily comforts Mary
upon the occasion of Samuel's death.
Broken heart . . . broken words:

January 1878

I hasten to you, Mary, because no moment must be lost when a heart is breaking, for though it broke so long, each time is newer than the last, if it broke truly. To be willing that I should speak to you was so generous, dear.

Sorrow almost resents love, it is so inflamed.

I am glad if the broken words helped you. I had not hoped so much, I felt so faint in uttering them, thinking of your great pain. . . .

Emily
**********

See the Everyman Edition of
Emily Dickinson Letters
(pages 139 - 140, 198 - 99)

No comments:

Post a Comment