Monday, February 21, 2022

Valentines From Friends

As I've mentioned before on this blog -- and more recently on my Fortnightly Blog -- this idea that you have to be at least married before you can share a Valentine is totally alien to me. For my entire life, I've been exchanging Valentines with family and friends of all ages. Sure, sometimes to include romance, but not always. More inclusively, it should be about "the goodness of loving, the gladness of living," and everyone you love. What they say on Sesame Street about Christmas holds equally true for Valentine's Day: "If you believe in love, that will be more than enough."

For example, I 💘 the above Valentine dish cloth from my friends in Minnesota (not married to me; not married to each other).

And I 💖 this impromptu poem that my friend Mumbi texted back to me when she opened her Valentine today (a week late, but that's okay):

"As far as I'm concerned, 'late' is relative.
LOVE is not timed --
it is always within us and around us.
Time and distance don't affect its value.
I just think that LOVE is so important
and it is not celebrated enough.
When there's no LOVE, life loses meaning.
A good reminder that a broken heart can be mended
and experience and express LOVE anew!"

No comments:

Post a Comment