Monday, September 28, 2009

Puttin' On The Style!

Check out:
KITTI CARRIKER: A FORTNIGHTLY LITERARY BLOG OF CONNECTION & COINCIDENCE
www.kitticarriker.blogspot.com





. . . and you'll notice that my latest Fortnightly post is about one of my favorite songs from the movie Agnes Browne, really one of my favorite songs from anywhere: Laura Smith's rendition of "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean." Another tune from the Agnes Browne soundtrack that always give me a chuckle is "Puttin' on the Style" (The Fleadh Cowboys / Lonnie Donegan version):

"Sweet sixteen goes to church just to see the boys
Laughs and screams and giggles at every little noise
Turns her face a little, and turns her head awhile
But everybody knows she's only puttin' on the style

Oh, puttin' on the agony, puttin' on the style
That's what all the young folks are doing all the while
And as I look around me I sometimes have to smile
Seeing all the young folks puttin' on the style"


Anyone who knows me very well knows that I'm not much of one for "puttin on the agony" (No whalebone, please! Heels, rarely. Contact lenses and mascara, only for photo ops). I'm more like Barbara Kingsolver who writes that she leans "toward dresses that make contact with the body (if at all) only on the shiatsu accu-pressure points" (from "Life Without Go-Go Boots," special feature essay in the Lands' End catalog, Spring 1990).

For the picture above, I was definitely in violation of the Kingsolver principle. Though it may not show, I was absolutely SQUEEZED into that dress like a mermaid. I truly felt like Scarlett O'Hara being laced up when I sucked in to have my zipper done. Yikes! I knew that I was in for a long night of puttin' on the agony, puttin' on the style!

Photography tip: You'll notice that by wearing black and standing real close to one's dinner date (also dressed in black), one's individual girth measurement becomes indeterminate! Ha!

Here we are on our way to see Tony Bennett:











And my friend Victoria with Tony!
Talk about PUTTIN' ON THE STYLE!

No comments:

Post a Comment