Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Miniature & The Gigantic

"Why shouldn't we, so generally addicted to the gigantic,
at last have some small works of art,
some short poems, short pieces of music
[. . .] some intimate, low-voiced, and delicate things
in our mostly huge and roaring, glaring world?"

~ Elizabeth Bishop ~
`
Painting of Breakfast by Jessie Willcox Smith

"Breakfast Perspective
you can bet that if oatmeal was bigger than us, he said,
we'd be breakfast cereal in a minute"

Brian Andreas (b. 1956)
American writer, painter, sculptor, publisher,
and creator of StoryPeople

*********************************

Some Days
Some days I put the people in their places at the table,
bend their legs at the knees,
if they come with that feature,
and fix them into the tiny wooden chairs.

All afternoon they face one another,
the man in the brown suit,
the woman in the blue dress,
perfectly motionless, perfectly behaved.

But other days, I am the one
who is lifted up by the ribs,
then lowered into the dining room of a dollhouse
to sit with the others at the long table.

Very funny,
but how would you like it
if you never knew from one day to the next
if you were going to spend it

striding around like a vivid god,
your shoulders in the clouds,
or sitting down there amidst the wallpaper,
staring straight ahead with your little plastic face

Billy Collins (b. 1941)
Poet Laureate of the United States, 2001 - 2003
New York State Poet, 2004-2006

***********************************

I find this topic so intriguing -- the dollhouse, the little dolls, the shift in perspective from the miniature to the gigantic -- I could write a book about it.

Oh, that's right, I already did:

CREATED IN OUR IMAGE:
THE MINIATURE BODY OF THE DOLL AS SUBJECT AND OBJECT


You can read more about my book
on The Fortnightly Kitti Carriker

1 comment:

  1. Just happened to come across this poem, which is a lot like the Billy Collins poem:

    A DIALOGUE WITH MY DAUGHTER
    THROUGH THE WINDOW OF HER DOLLHOUSE

    “The days never end, but people end, right?”
    My daughter asks me this today. Dazed
    by her question, my mind goes blank. I stare.
    Then I say, “Yes, people end. All people end
    when they’re old. It’s called death. Days never
    end, though, because days are not people

    who have blood and bones and skin and…” “Never
    mind,” she says, going back to the people
    in her dollhouse, bending their arms, the right
    leg, the left leg, to seat each one in a chair.
    But this explanation will not be the end
    of it. I know there will be other days,

    tomorrow, perhaps, when she will take me unaware
    with “Why do people end? Will Mommy end?
    Will you end? Will I end?” So I’ll have to get it right.
    I’ll have to clear my throat, sigh as wise people
    sigh before I say, “Emily, you must never
    doubt that God made people end to fill the endless days

    in Heaven.” Then she’ll ask about Heaven, and right
    away I’ll be in trouble because I’ll never
    be convinced about a place where people
    have wings and play harps, a place without days
    and nights, or of just one day without end.
    Even if satisfied with that, she’ll want to know where

    it is and about God and what gives God the right
    to make us do anything he pleases, as though people
    were dolls and the world a dollhouse. At my wit’s end,
    I’ll probably blurt out something I’ll regret for days,
    such as, “God’s like a person, but we really can’t compare
    God to a person because God, you know, will never

    end as people do.” To which she’ll say, “So the days
    are like God then because the days don’t end
    either, right dad?” I will smile in despair.
    I will smile and nod and hope she never
    asks again. I will watch her play with her people,
    watch her bend their wooden heads to the left and the right.

    by J.R. Solonche

    —from Rattle #25, Summer 2006

    https://www.rattle.com/tag/jr-solonche/

    ReplyDelete