Monday, May 6, 2013

On the Street Where You Live

Our favorite house ever!

On the Street Where We Lived (1993 - 2001)

One of the features I like to incorporate into my Fortnightly blog is a painting or photograph every two weeks that somehow illustrates the concept of "a house where all's accustomed, ceremonious." I have a few on hand that so far haven't really matched up with any particular post, so I thought it might be fun to let them stand alone as quotidian tidbits here on my daily blog.

This picture is one of my favorites -- our beautiful Victorian twin, built in 1895, in a part of West Philadelphia called University City (near the U Penn campus). Our house stood right on the corner, so the flowers that you see here are actually in our neighbor's yard. From this perspective, though it looks as if they might have been in ours.

This photo confirms something that you might not suspect about Philadelphia:
Are there lilac trees in the heart of town?
Yes, there are!

On the Street Where You Live

I have often walked
Down the street before,
But the pavement always
Stayed beneath my feet before.
All at once am I
Several stories high,
Knowing I'm on the street where you live.

Are there lilac trees
In the heart of town?
Can you hear a lark in any other part of town?
Does enchantment pour
Out of every door?
No, it's just on the street where you live.

And oh, the towering feeling
Just to know somehow you are near
The overpowering feeling
That any second you may suddenly appear.

People stop and stare
They don't bother me,
For there's no where else on earth
That I would rather be.

Let the time go by,
I won't care if i
Can be here on the street where you live.


Lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner
Music by Frederick Loewe


PLEASE NOTE:
This is not a song about stalking!
Merely some light - hearted love lyrics from the musical My Fair Lady!

Here in Indiana, we love our grafted lilac
that blooms both purple and white on the same bush!

(A present from my father - in - law ~ Thanks Grandpa Ron!)


My friend Cate writes from Ohio:
"Everything here is soooo beautiful. It makes my heart ache.
It looks like heaven it's so beautiful."

P.S.
In the 1990s, Cate was my across - the - street neighbor in Philadelphia.
Now we are neighbors in the Midwest!

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful lilacs, and what a beautiful legacy those lilacs will be for future families occupying your house, since well cared for houses tend to outlive and outstay us!

    ReplyDelete