Sunday, September 7, 2014

Sean or Sam?


Six years ago, we took our elderly neighbor along to Sam's confirmation. A bit behind the times when it came to gender roles and clergy, she kept asking me during the service if the bishop was the priest's assistant. I don't think I ever did get her to understand that the Bishop was actually the boss! That is not to say, however, that the Bishop is infallible. For example, when she was blessing Sam, she called him "Sean." Outrageous!

I wrote to ask my friend Nancy Tiederman, herself a priest, who remembers Sam from the day he was born: 'Does this mean that in the eyes of God, his name has been forever changed?'


Nancy sent the following amusing reply: "It means that you and Gerry misunderstood the voice of God when you named him originally and that God has always thought of him as Sean (John) and not Sam-u-EL. Well, so much for dream interpretation. Wouldn't it have been great if Sam had said, 'Excuse me, ma'am, my name is Sam'?

"Since that's the name he was baptized under, I think you are safe in spite of fallible bishops at confirmation. Aren't those three good looking young men! May God and the angels watch over them."

2009 Confirmation Class: Brendan, Sam, Ben

. . . and related posts . . .

July 10, 2011: Good Shepherd

August 28, 2011: Back to School

PS. HAPPY 21st BIRTHDAY, SAM!

********************************

AND THANKS TO NANCY
FOR BEING MY SPIRITUAL ADVISOR

No comments:

Post a Comment