Sunday, May 15, 2016

With a Lily of the Valley for a Bell

When I heard the church bells ring,
I thought I heard the voice of God.

Albert Schweitzer, 1875 - 1965

Lilies of the Valley
photographed by Mark Bass

Some keep the Sabbath going to Church -
I keep it, staying at Home –
With a Bobolink for a Chorister –
And an Orchard, for a Dome –

Some keep the Sabbath in Surplice –
I, just wear my Wings –
And instead of tolling the Bell, for Church,
Our little Sexton – sings.

God preaches, a noted Clergyman –
And the sermon is never long,
So instead of getting to Heaven, at last –
I’m going, all along.


~ Emily Dickinson

Gerry . . .

sorting out a batch of Lily of the Valley bulbs . . .

to plant alongside the driveway.

Previous Success on the Other Side of the HouseMay 2013


P.S.
Another picture to go with Emily Dickinson's poem:
Some keep the Sabbath by going for a walk in the woods!
Mark says:
"Walking through the woods is what we call True Religion."

1 comment:

  1. https://www.npr.org/2016/06/18/482478311/nevermind-the-white-dress-turns-out-emily-dickinson-had-a-green-thumb?utm_source=npr_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=20160623&utm_campaign=Books&utm_term=nprnews

    ReplyDelete