Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Nothing That My Hand Grasps

Theo van Rysselberghe- A Reading by Emile Verhaeren
A Reading by Emile Verhaeren (1901)
by Theo van Rysselberghe (1862 - 1926)

Wearing red, with hand raised:
Émile Verhaeren (1855 – 1916)
Belgian poet, wrote in French
nominated six times for
the Nobel Prize in Literature

Sitting across from Verhaeren, with hand on head:
André Gide (1869 – 1951)
French Author
Nobel Prize in Literature ~ 1947

One should want only one thing and want it constantly. Then one is sure of getting it. But I desire everything and consequently get nothing. Each time I discover, and too late, that one thing had come to me while I was running after another.

from The Journals of André Gide

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I devoted myself to my business to the best of my ability — not taking much pleasure in it, but hoping by this semblance of work to give some stability to my disintegrated life.

Perhaps it was because the day had begun so badly that I felt so anguished. Oh, I thought, without a doubt, everything in my life is falling to pieces. Nothing that my hand grasps can my hand hold.


from Gide's novel, The Immoralist

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And from Stéphane Mosès (1931 - 2007)
French-Israeli philosopher

Certain situations are so desperate that the only
way to escape them is through total ingenuousness.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For more wise words from André Gide
see wikiquotes & goodreads

Additional portraits of Gide,
also by van Rysselberghe: 1907 & 1908

No comments:

Post a Comment