Saturday, October 15, 2022

The Ides of October

Designs, Wrightsville Beach, 1968
Minnie Evans (1892 - 1987)



It has been over four months since I predicted a long, thoughtful summer. And indeed it has been. I have stretched the conclusion out longer than ever before -- beyond Labor day, beyond the Autumnal Equinox -- all the way to the Ides of October. According to the ancient calendars, "summer activities stopped on this day . . . the season of combat ended." Weapons and and sailing boats were set aside for the duration of winter.

Why has the summer lasted so long this year? First, because summers just are longer these days. Right? Second, because at the outset, we packed up our household and moved several states over from Indian to Virginia. That took a lot of time, and I needed a longer break than usual. Third, because in these warmer climes, I am still swimming laps outdoors every day. So, obviously, I am not yet thinking of winter preparations; I am thinking of the long long summertime!

I have, however, done some writing done . . .

About the olden days:
Houses I Love Driving Past
Faded Autographs
Hail Marie!
Great - Grandmother's Day Book


And about the artwork
that we left behind when we moved:
To See A Fine Picture
Going Barefoot
Kitchen Art
Complication and Plenitude
One Long Staircase


. . . and some reading . . .
SUMMER BOOKS:
The List
Such Goings - On
The Beach
Comic & Funny
I Did It

Autumn, 1896
Alphonse Mucha (1860 - 1939)

No comments:

Post a Comment