Friday, March 17, 2023

Où sont les neiges de mars?

"some unnecessary stars
fell quietly
from last night's
sky . . . "
MAGNOLIA

The bare shrub
unnoticed by me
in February

has snow clumps
still clinging to it
in late March

which, when examined,
are plum, purple - veined
buds.

A day later,
I blink:
it appears

some unnecessary stars
fell quietly
from last night's
sky

and settled lightly
lightly
among shivering
branches.


by Francine Tolf
in her book Prodigal
Many thanks
to Contemporary American writer Francine Tolf
for allowing me to share her poems on my blog:
on The Fortnightly
on The Quotidian Kit
on Kitti's List

************************
P.S.
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

2 comments:

  1. See Saturday, December 31, 2022
    "Old December, Brown and Bright"

    Kitti, you always manage to find the most unusual, charming, surprising or delightful combos of words and images. I love this deer! Thank you for putting beauty into the world. I've tried to do that with my poetry.
    Blessings, Francine

    ReplyDelete
  2. January 20, 2023

    Dear Francine,

    Thank you from the bottom of my heart for these kind words of praise and encouragement for the thing I have always wanted to do most -- combine words & images for the benefit of others!

    As for your poems bringing beauty, never doubt it! Always during this time of year, I think of your poem "Between You and Me" about the December (& January!) trees: "Couldn't you almost name who you were?"

    Your haunting, affirming conclusion ties so many things together. I'm thinking of that line from E. B. White's essay, "The Door": "My heart has followed all my days something I cannot name." Or, particularly timely right now, in light of David Crosby's death, his album "If I Could Only Remember My Name."

    Your poem tells us that yes, you CAN remember! Yes, you CAN name it -- or at least almost! And that's enough to give us hope! So, thanks for that! And thanks for following my posts.

    And a happy, happy new year to you & yours ~ Kitti

    ReplyDelete