Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Happy Birthday to Me!

A Modest Birthday Wish! Right?
Facebook Post

Hearkening back, age 14 includes my good friend Joni and all the things we had in common -- poetry (e. e. cummings), music (Cat Stevens), hanging around Joni's house and being a little bit spoiled by her sweet mom, making spaghetti and Lipton Onion Soup, walks and bike rides, exchanging personalized presents, searching our hearts on a daily basis, just being girls together -- even our twin-ness (we each have a twin brother)! Joni had several additional brothers but no sisters, so I was honored to receive the title of ""sister at large" from her older brother Jim, whose funny greeting captures the spirit of the time:
"Hi Kitti, right now my darned old cat is attacking me, he is so possesive. I must let you know that for as long as you have known of my mom, you have captured that rare recognition of being a sister at large. Do you remember when I attempted to trade you in for Joan? The deal went sour when Joany reneged because she couldn't refrain from trying to tell me off. Pammy . . . Chrissy . . . all of them were like real sisters, but you will always stand out as being the nice one. Take care, and have a wonderful Sunday. jm"
Thanks Jimmy!
StoryPeople

1 comment:

  1. Question from Mumbi:

    "I took note of the 2nd from last sentence -- always being the nice one -- I guess nicest of the other others he refers to.

    "Question: Is it a conscious effort to be nice, to think about it and make it a habit, or is it a natural part of one’s personality like humor?"

    My answer: After raising our kids (and our cats!), Gerry and I have come to the conclusion that most traits in most creatures are simply their nature, what they are born with.
    We like to think we “nurtured” them, but the “nature” argument seems stronger.

     Sure, children who are deprived of shelter & nutrition will suffer developmentally and emotionally; so we can “nurture” by meeting basic needs.  

    But beyond health and welfare, it doesn’t seem like parents can “nurture” a child into a particular personality beyond what the child is born with.

    As for me, in the above memory of hanging out with my high school friends,  good question Mumbi!

    I think I was the “nice” one because I never got into trouble like the others did — skipping school, smoking, peeping in windows, sneaking out at night.  Why didn’t I “take a chance”? Because I was afraid of punishment from Mom.  

    So I guess “parental threats” can have a cause / effect on a child’s behavior.  But not all kids, right?  Some kids don’t mind crossing their parents, maybe even thrive on conflict and challenge.

    But not me; I hated conflict, so perhaps avoiding it was NOT a learned response (nurture) but was coded in my personality (nature).

    Mumbi: Great answer!

    Me: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete