Monday, July 19, 2010

German Chocolate Birthday Cake


One thing I used to love about the summers was that in June my mom would always bake my dad a German chocolate cake for Father's Day; and then in July, another one for his birthday! We rarely had German chocolate any other time, so those months always seemed so rich and special. My son Sam regularly picks German chocolate cake for his birthday, and that's about the only time I ever make one, but we all love it -- especially the frosting!

The recipes for both cake and icing can be found inside the wrapper of a package of German Sweet Chocolate, so I won't retype them here. You can cheat on the cake and use a box mix if you want -- German Chocolate, or Light Chocolate, or Milk Chocolate (but not Devil's Food). However, the frosting MUST be homemade! Okay, I WILL retype the frosting instructions:

Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, about 12 minutes:

1 cup of evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
3 eggs yolks
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon of vanilla

Add:

1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans

Beat until thick enough to spread.

Divide frosting between 2 or 3 layers of chocolate cake, saving enough for the top. No need to frost sides. Sososososo good!

P.S.
In place of the evaporated milk and sugar, you may use a 14 oz can of Sweetened Condensed Milk and reduce the egg yolks to only one (instead of three). This is the ONLY allowable shortcut! Butter, vanilla, coconut, pecans remain the same.

One year for Sam's birthday, instead of the conventional 3 - layer German chocolate cake, I made two 8" rounds, cutting one of them into bunny ears and bow tie (as often seen at Easter with white cake, white icing, and white coconut). Ours was not an Easter Bunny, but a brown country Birthday Bunny with long candles for whiskers (above).

For more family recipes and anecdotes, see my sister's new blog:
Peggy Linn Carriker-Rosenbluth
Friends and Family Recipes

1 comment:

  1. I so love German Chocolate cake but I never seem to make it because it seems so rich and loaded with calories. Now I realize I just have to ignore the calories (just this once) and indulge. I can't wait to make one -- perhaps this weekend. Also thanks for the mention of our new recipe blog. Maybe it will have far-reaching effects.

    ReplyDelete