Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Candy and Poison

Halloween Haiku
Such little steps
In love of candy
Knocking at my door!


by student,
Patrick McDonough
Community College
of Philadelphia
Fall 1997







Read Margaret Atwood's collection of very short stories, entitled Murder in the Dark, and you'll soon see that there's more to Halloween than Honeydukes. In "Making Poison," for example, it turns out that life is not all Tom, Betty, and Susan after all. I wonder if Dick and Jane would ever make poison, like the brother and sister in Atwood's story? Even Atwood wonders:

"Why did we make the poison in the first place? I can remember the glee with which we stirred and added, the sense of magic and accomplishment. Making poison is as much fun as making a cake. People like to make poison. If you don't understand this you will never understand anything" (Atwood 10).

FOR MORE ON MARGARET ATWOOD'S SPOOKY SHORT FICTION
READ TODAY'S NEW POST ON MY FORTNIGHTLY BLOG:


KITTI CARRIKER: A FORTNIGHTLY LITERARY BLOG OF CONNECTION & COINCIDENCE
www.kitticarriker.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Oh that Mrs. Dalloway!
    And Margaret Atwood. How I admire her! Is this a new book? I hear she has a new book. Last week at one of my knitting groups, I overheard her name mentioned but since there are usually 7 or 8 conversations going on (you would love it!)that I couldn't find out what they were saying about her but there was admiration in the air.

    ReplyDelete