Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Small Things That
Make The Big Things Big










A Few Highlights
from the latest update to my reading list:

"Catching Up On Bryson"
KITTI'S BOOK LIST
www.kittislist.blogspot.com


" . . . you are alive. For the tiniest moment in the span of eternity you have the miraculous privilege to exist. . . . That you are able to sit here right now in this one never-to-be repeated moment, reading this book, eating bonbons . . . doing whatever you are doing--just EXISTING--is really wondrous beyond belief" (Notes From A Small Island, 120 - 21)

This observation by Bill Bryson captures perfectly the joie de vivre that enlivens every book he has written: from his earliest travelogues, to his comprehensive Short History of Nearly Everything; his recent hilarious memoir, The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, and everything in between.

As my brother David explains so succinctly: "Bryson really notices the small things that make the big things big."

"The miraculous privilege to exist . . . is really wondrous beyond belief." That's the thought I plan to call forth whenever I feel my spirit being vexed (see October 2, below) by the general lack of common decency or the stray ugliness that might be strewn across one's path in the course of any given day.

I resolve not to let anyone else spoil the miracle of my life!

For more on all of Bryson's great stuff,
see the latest update to my reading list:

"Catching Up On Bryson"
KITTI'S BOOK LIST
www.kittislist.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment