Friday, February 12, 2010

Just Not That Into You

"Next to being married,
a girl likes to be crossed in love a little now and then."
Jane Austen, from Pride and Prejudice

Last year around this time, my friend Vickie and I were reminiscing about those lucky girls back in college (never us) who received flowers, actually delivered to their dorm rooms, on Valentine's Day. So special for them. My flower delivery story, on the other hand, happens to be one of those "too bad to be true" dorm memories.

Breaking up is always bad; could a flower delivery make it even worse? (Answer: Yes.) There I was on a miserable Monday afternoon, sitting at my desk, teary-eyed and feeling incredibly sorry for myself, still in emotional dismay, the day after one of those inevitable splits.

For some reason (expecting someone to stop by?), the door to my room was slightly ajar. Next thing I knew, I heard a light knock and looked up to see a flower delivery person with a beautiful bouquet. Naturally, my foolish heart jumped to the immediate conclusion that here was the apology I was yearning for. It had all been a big mistake, the woeful weekend wiped away in one larger - than - life romantic gesture . . . but . . . no! It was not be be.

This delivery geek was merely LOST and just needed directions to SOMEONE . . . ELSE'S . . . ROOM. Unbelievable! What are the odds that he would ask this knife-twisting question of me, the most lovelorn girl around? No flower deliver-er had ever asked me for directions before -- why this day? Talk about insult to injury! A soap opera or sit-com writer could not have devised a more ludicrously disappointing scene than the one I experienced in that ironic moment.

Ah, Cruelty. Ah, Youth. Ah, FTD.


P.S.
" 'Love,' says Squire Allworthy, 'however much we may corrupt and pervert its meaning . . . remains a rational passion.' "
--Henry Fielding, from Tom Jones

2 comments:

  1. Kitti to Vickie: I posted one of our conversations on the daily blog. I didn't think you'd mind & hope you like.

    Vickie to Kitti: I don't mind if you post anything about me, as long as it makes me sound fabulous!

    P.S.
    Take care of your heart!
    Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think I had a "favorite" poet, but whose poetry do I find myself turning to over and over again? Looking over my choices for the past few months, the regulars seem to be Sara Teasdale and Edna St. Vincent Millay, both of whom I started reading right around the same time as the FTD episode.

    ReplyDelete