Thursday, July 12, 2012

Love & Justice, Both Blind

The arc of history is long
but it tends toward justice.

Martin Luther King, Jr.



Look what happens to the scale
when love holds it:
it stops working.

Kabir


Full Quotation:

"I do not pretend to understand the moral universe;
the arc is a long one, my eye reaches but little ways;
I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure
by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience.
And from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice."

Theodore Parker


PS. If only justice were as plentiful as beauty:

FAIR AND UNFAIR

The beautiful is fair. The just is fair.
Yet one is commonplace and one is rare,
One everywhere, one scarcely anywhere.

So fair unfair a world. Had we the wit
To use the surplus for the deficit,
We'd make a fairer fairer world of it.

Robert Francis, 1901 - 1987

No comments:

Post a Comment