Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Earth Angels

My sister Peg at age five, with her sweet dog Shep

This precious photograph reminded me of a poem that I copied down many years ago from The Christian Science Monitor:

Angels and Animals
Angels and animals like air and earth surround us,
the one above, the other (so we say) below.
The beasts we know: they flee or, captive, feed, befriend us;
but angles go their earthly way incognito.

The fierce intelligence, the singing shaft of light
the seers and shepherds knew, we muffle in gowns and wings,
preferring (so it seems) the tall, the cloven foot,
of Sir Mephisto and his impish underlings.

Yet angels exist, according to our three religions;
and if we find it hard to flurry a flame for them,
what of this animal - for - angel theorem?

When a stray dog is fed or crumbs are thrown to pigeons,
a chord in the heavenly choir rings out especially gala,
and someone is dear to the angels of Christ, Jehovah, Allah.


Francis Maguire
[I'm guessing that this link leads to the correct author; but I
have so little information to go on that I cannot be entirely sure.]

While Maguire equates animals with angels, the mystical Tukaram goes one step further, equating them with God. His proverb provides some food [make that dog food!] for thought:

"I could not lie anymore so I started to call my dog "God."
First he looked confused, then he started smiling,
then he even danced.
I kept at it: now he doesn't even bite.
I am wondering if this might work on people?"

Tukaram (1608 - 1649)

Mysterious Marathi Divine Poet


As with the proverbs posted on
April 7th & April 10th & April 13th,
these lines from Tukaram can be found in
Mala of the Heart: 108 Sacred Poems
edited by Ravi Nathwani & Kate Vogt
Thanks to my friend Lani for her
generous gift of this lovely inspirational book!

No comments:

Post a Comment