Tuesday, September 22, 2020

From the Grade School Archives

Eugene Field Elementary, Neosho, Missouri (ca 1964) 

As Bruce's simple essay clearly illustrates,   
even schoolchildren understand that

 ************ 

 Mrs. Halloween, with bats for hands and owls for feet! 
One of my mother's grade school art projects, late 1930s.

September

it rained in my sleep
and in the morning the fields were wet

I dreamed of artillery
of the thunder of horses

in the morning the fields were strewn
with twigs and leaves

as if after a battle
or a sudden journey

I went to sleep in summer
I dreamed of rain

in the morning the fields were wet
and it was autumn


by Linda Pastan

1 comment:

  1. RE: New facebook layout & new blogger interface: I know it makes me sound like a stupid old Boomer, but every little task on my blog -- e.g., adding a photo or italics or centering -- just got harder for no apparent reason & no apparent gain. As with the facebook changes, I didn't even know there was a problem that needed to be fixed. Where are the so - called improvements? What was wrong with the old way? I want to continue creating blog posts, but not if even the tiniest idea, such as the above artwork, requires 2 hours of formatting. Sigh . . .

    ReplyDelete