Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Cousin Rovilla

My Grandmother Rovilla loved all of her cousins!
One of her favorites was Elizabeth,
to whom she sent this photo in 1919.

Next came the 2nd cousins:
Rovilla's daughter Mary (my mother)
& Elizabeth's daughter Josie.

Now, the 3rd cousins:
me & Josie's daughter Cindy,
who kindly shared this photo
that I have never seen before!

From a recent family conversation:
Cindy: "As I have gotten older, I have grown in my appreciation of lessons learned from my parents and grandparents. Some of those lessons have been gleaned from letters I read after they passed away. Others have been taught by books or keepsakes my elders gave me. What have been some of the most valuable, interesting, helpful or humorous lessons you recall learning from your Miller ancestors?"

Kitti: "From my Grandmother Rovilla: stay in touch with your cousins! She modeled this in her correspondence — no phone calls in those days! I loved peering into her stationery drawer and looking through all the stamps and notebooks. She taught me all the names and family stories, which were as fascinating to me (both then & now) as any huge complicated novel by Charles Dickens! So many characters!"
A recently re-discovered quilt,
along with the note in Rovilla's cursive.

No comments:

Post a Comment