Friday, May 17, 2024

Birthday Scrabble

Thanks Donna!

The Birthday Scrabble Score -- 65 is only 25 -- is similar to my theory that humans need to give up counting every single year of their life when proclaiming their age. You know, the way we start out counting a newborn baby's age in days, then weeks, then months, then maybe a few years of adding "and a half." But somewhere along the way, just the year becomes enough.

So I'm thinking that at some point, maybe say, around 30, it becomes enough to mention only the decade. Why break it down any further than that? I can just be 30 until I'm 40, 40 until I'm 50, 50 until I'm 60, and so forth. Do we really have to know every little year in there? As far as I'm concerned, I'm 60 now, and in a few years, I'll be 70. So for anyone turning 60-something today or tomorrow, or next week: nothing has changed! You are still 60 -- not 65, not 67, not 68!

I'm just gonna be 60 until I'm 70! And so can you! Who's counting? Not me!

A couple twists on this approach to birthdays:

1. I like what my 3rd - grade friend Lea Ann said on the eve of her 65th birthday: "Well, last night being the age of 65 -- heading to the 70 side tomorrow! Ha!"

2. Even though you used to be older than some folks, this counting method allows you to become basically the same age. Haha -- but true!

3. I'm reminded of Sam as a youngster, always asking me when he would be as old as Ben. I'm pretty sure that Aidan will soon be asking the same question about Ellie! Little Sam was constantly puzzled to learn that Ben would always be older. Obviously, this was before my theory! Otherwise, I could have told him that when he gets to be 40 or so, they will finally be the same age!

4. A year ago, Gerry's friend Antoinette, wrote "2024" (instead of 2023) on his birthday card. Her correction: "I like to keep ahead of the life game." Haha!

Along the same lines, just a few days before, on a birthday card to our friend Igor out in Oregon, and I had written "2003" (instead of 2023). By way of correction, I wrote, "Sometimes time stands still."

Funny how we each went in different directions on the time line!

No comments:

Post a Comment