Thursday, October 1, 2009

Out of Reach














"Nobody on the road, nobody on the beach
I feel it in the air, the summer's out of reach
Empty lake, empty streets
The sun goes down alone . . . "
by Don Henley
from "The Boys of Summer"


First it's Back to School, which seems to come earlier each year. Summer kind of ends then, in mid-August. The pools all close; so hard to believe. Next comes Labor Day -- End of Summer Holiday, but it doesn't feel like the end. The Autumnal Equinox arrives, but it's going to take more than that to make us stop thinking Summer.

How about the last day of September? Surely turning the calendar to October is enough to convince anyone that Fall is really here. Even if temperatures shoot back into the 90s for a day or two, the summer is out of reach, and we all know it.

If you ask me, Summer is heaven for outdoor swimming, and Winter is great for Christmas. Spring is nice just for a change, but Autumn is always best. It seems that almost everyone I know favors Fall. Yet, even though I love this time of year and everything that goes with it, I almost have to agree with John Denver about the sadness of Summer's end:

"Reflections in the water like shadows in my mind
Speak to me of passing days and nights and passing time
The falling leaves are whispering, winter's on its way
I close my eyes remembering the warmth of yesterday
It seems a shame to see September swallowed by the wind
And more than that it's oh so sad to see the summer end
And though the changing colors are a lovely thing to see
If it were mine to make a change I think I'd let it be--
But I don't remember hearing anybody asking me."









Yes, it's true.
Today's the day: September has been swallowed by the wind.

3 comments:

  1. I must take issue with your comment "almost everyone I know favors fall." I am someone you know and I must go on the record as someone who finds Fall gloomy, raining and full of mourning that summer is gone. And worst of all, I am cold all the time, more even than in winter. I believe though that it is a function of living further north than when growing up. I used to love fall because most days were beautiful. Now Fall is just a harbinger of Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do know what you mean, Et! I will find a mourning poem for you! xo, K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Season Suite with scenes from "Fox & Hound" and "Bambi" ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6490uAbOnY

    ReplyDelete