Monday, May 24, 2010

Happy Birthday Day!

A couple of months ago, I was writing a quick note on facebook to one of my nieces, and ended up inadvertently typing "Happy Birthday Day." I was just about to send an "oops sorry about that" post script, when I decided that maybe this was an even better greeting, a new improved, expanded celebratory salutation.

So from now on, it's not just Happy Birthday . . .

It's Happy Birthday Day!

Here's something I have been saving in one of my treasure boxes for 35 years: a beautiful birthday card -- one of my best ever -- handmade by my friend Marietta on my 18th birthday! Thanks Et!




COMPANION OR FRIEND?

"I have come to believe that you can get along without anyone — that is, without the close contact of any one person. That is a terrible shock to me, but I think it is true. You do need companionship, but wherever you go, in whatever new environment, you will find people who, to a large degree, take the place of those you left. That is, you will find as many contacts, they will become as intimately a part of your life, as friends before.

"If you can get along without friends is it all gone after you leave a person? I don't think so, because when you see them again, or write to them, it all comes back. You can meet and talk with as much intensity and freedom as before, your connection is as strong even though the contact surface is not as great.

"Besides, I think that companionship is a static, objective thing. You can have it with anyone and it is relatively the same, while friendship is subjective and multicolored. There are as many different kinds of friendship (for me, at least) as there are friends. The intimate companionship goes, I think, when you leave a friend, but friendship stays. It is an inherent possibility of relationship that, once admitted — well, there it is."

by Anne Morrow Lindbergh
from Bring Me A Unicorn, 1972

2 comments:

  1. "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another:
    "What! You too? I thought I was the only one."
    ~ C.S. Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.facebook.com/kitti.carriker/posts/10222261689038605:1

    ReplyDelete