Saturday, May 29, 2010

I Shall Come Back

another painting by Kate Greenaway (1846 - 1901)
English children's book illustrator and writer

I Shall Come Back
I shall be coming back to you
From seas, rivers, sunny meadows,
Glens that hold secrets:
I shall come back with my hands full
Of light and flowers....
I shall bring back things I have picked up,
Traveling this road or the other,
Things found by the sea or in the pinewood.
There will be a pine-cone in my pocket,
Grains of pink sand between my fingers.
I shall tell you of a golden pheasant’s
Feather....
Will you know me?


a childhood reverie, composed at age 10 - 12
by American child poet Hilda Conkling (1910 - 86)

For more poems on this theme see
my post "Love In The Open Hand"
on THE FORTNIGHTLY KITTI CARRIKER
my fortnightly literary blog
of connection and coincidence
www.kitticarriker.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment