Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Rainbow Trail

Back in the days when my friend Etta made the beautiful birthday card for me (see previous post), we had another friend, Marilyn, who gave me the above cardboard clipping from the side of a Girl Scout Cookie box, annotated, as you can see, with our names above each head. (I wonder what flavor those cookies were?)

On the back, Marilyn wrote the words of the classic Navajo song:

Walk on a rainbow trail;
walk on a trail of song,
and all about you will be beauty.
There is a way out of every dark mist
over a rainbow trail.

Throughout college, I kept this little picture on my bulletin board as a souvenir of our high school days, and over the years I copied the rainbow verse down every now and then to share with other friends. I later transferred it to a scrapbook along with a letter that I received a few summers ago (2002) from my college friend Milly.

Milly wrote:

"Kit,

Do you remember this:

Walk on a rainbow trail;
walk on a trail of song,
and all about you will be beauty.
There is a way out of every dark mist
over a rainbow trail. ~Navajo Song


You sent that to me on my birthday in 1980!"



Milly
&
Kitti

1980





Ah, how sweet of Milly to remember that and to have saved the card I must have written it on. And how inspired of Marilyn to name the three hopeful little rainbow Girl Scouts after herself, Etta, and me. Ever the best of friends.

Etta, Marilyn, Kitti
Our Highschool Graduation
June 3, 1975

No comments:

Post a Comment