Friday, November 1, 2019

All Saints: Atwood & Auntie Wickie

Pop - Up Shadow Card from Auntie Wickie
True Stories #ii

The true story was lost
on the way down to the beach, it's something

I never had, that black tangle
of branches in a shifting light

my blurred footprints
filling with salt

water, this handful
of tiny bones, this owl's kill;

a moon, crumpled papers, a coin,
the glint of an old picnic,

the hollows made by lovers
in a sand a hundred

years ago: no clue.
**********

" . . . something
I never had, that black tangle
of branches in a shifting light . . ."

"I can fly. I wish I could believe it."


**********

Also, including this one here;
can't wait for the December!

Small Poems for the Winter Solstice #10

Of course I'm a teller
of mundane lines, such as: I'll try
never to lie to you. Such as:
the day after today the earth will
tilt on its axis towards the sun
again, the light will turn stronger,
it will be spring and you'll
be happy. Such as:
I can fly. I wish I could believe
it. Instead I'm stuck
here, in this waste of particulars,
truths, fact. Teeth, gloves & socks.
I don't trust love
because it's no shape or colour.


both poems by Margaret Atwood
from True Stories

Snowy Halloween ~ Sunny All Saints


And a closing quote for Auntie Wickie:
"Oh Lord [Oh Goddess]!
Into what an age have you caused me to be born!"

from Flaubert's Parrot by Julian Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment