Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Ancient Tortoise on the Road

Jonathan, the World’s Oldest Tortoise
born circa 1832

Never known to hail from the Midwestern United States;
and yet . . .

Recently my friend, artist and writer Michael Lipsey observed:

"In every life something occurs
that is so strange that one is
never quite sure if it actually
happened or was imagined.
(Spooky music is playing.)"

I immediately thought of that time on a rural highway in St. Charles County, Missouri, when I stopped my car to watch a huge tortoise walk slowly slowly slowly across the road in front of me. I didn't get out of the car, but it seemed like the tortoise's back would have been up to my knees if I had gone over to stand beside it. It was broad daylight, but no other cars around, no one in the car with me, no camera on hand for documentation, no such thing as a cellphone; so as I resumed my drive, I could only go inside my head and ask: "Did I just see that?"

That was nearly 50 years ago, and I still wonder! Was that tortoise a hundred years old? Or older? Where was it going? Where had it been? Truly I heard the spooky music that day and felt transported outside of Time as we know it.

Cherub on a Tortoise
by Dorothy Tennant (1855 – 1926)

Previous Michael Lipsey Connections:
Quotidian, Fortnightly, Kitti's List

No comments:

Post a Comment